SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
You are welcome to the Social Communication Department in Hoima Catholic Diocese. Below is a summary of the background, mission statement, structure, aims and objectives of the department, media activities as well as future plans.
The mission of the Social Communications Department is: “to form an effective and efficient communication net-work in order to facilitate integral evangelization through dialogue and exchange of important information to all stake-holders in Hoima Diocese.”
The structure top-down is as follows:
=> The Diocesan Bishop/ Administration
=> The Communications Board
=> The Diocesan Executive Secretary
=> The Communications Staff (section leaders)
=> The Community agents/ coordinators.
Aims and objectives:
• To provide a communications component to all pastoral activities, ministries and associations in the Diocese.
• To create and develop an effective and efficient Diocesan communications network for the timely and immediate transfer of all important social as well as pastoral information to all stake-holders.
• To create, develop and employ both traditional (cultural) as well as modern media so as to engage a multi-media approach in order to facilitate the process of social communication and integral evangelization of all community members.
• To provide professional coverage, that is; in words and images for all important Diocesan and institutional events and functions.
• To be a resource centre as well as an archive for all diocesan communication needs. For instance; religious books, church music, sacramentals, public address system and related services.
• To create avenues for sensitization of all stake-holders and the entire community on media related facts like media education, ethical standards and media law.
• To act as public relations office for the diocese.
• To provide both the horizontal (community based) as well as vertical (hierarchical) communication network so as to avail the people of God at all levels with the important pastoral and social communication.
With the above objectives in mind, it important to note that communications department is engaged in various media activities. These include: Radio Maria apostolate, a diocesan periodical bulletin known as; “Eka Yaitu”, a secretarial bureau, a Catholic book shop, a Christian religious shop or canteen and media education which involves workshops.
Radio Maria Uganda Hoima Apostolate:
Radio Maria, “a Christian voice in your home” was officially launched in Hoima Diocese in June 2009 on 90.7 Frequency Modulation. It is located in Hoima municipality, behind centenary bank, Kafu road, Kiryateete zone. Radio Maria Uganda Hoima is one of the 9 sub-stations of Radio Maria Uganda network with the national headquarters located in Biina Mutungo, Kampala 103.7 FM. The other Radio Maria sub stations or branches are: Mbarara 105.4 FM, Mbale 101.8 FM, Nebbi 90.5 FM, Gulu 105.7 FM, Moroto 105.5 FM, Kabaale 100.8 FM, Fort portal 104.6 FM (booster station) and Masaka 94.0 FM (booster station). Radio Maria Uganda is part of the big network of the World Family of Radio Maria. This radio is non commercial and it is a listener supported apostolate.
It is worth noting that Radio Maria has as its main objective to evangelize its listeners. Its daily programming has four main components namely; prayer, catechesis, promotion, and human development programs. At the heart of prayer is the Holy Eucharist which is celebrated every day at 7.00am at the station with the participation of a live congregation from all faith groups.
There are various activities that are undertaken by Radio Maria Uganda -Hoima apostolate. These include: the daily live programming which covers the above named four components. Other activities include:
• Field promotion and fundraising activities such as grassroots promotions in small Christian communities,
• Listener’s days in parishes and out stations,
• Prayer crusades at parishes and busy trading centers;
• The celebration of special Marian feast days and solemnities,
• Radio Maria launch anniversary,
• The annual Mariathon events,
• Recruitment of volunteers and collaborators,
• The end of year prayer crusade.
Staff prayers and business meetings are held every Monday by the ordinary staff for weekly activity evaluation and planning purposes.
According to the first Director of Radio Maria Uganda-Hoima who is Rev. Fr. Busobozi John Mary, “the long term plan is to build a permanent home for Radio Maria Uganda Hoima. Among others however, is the on-going recruitment of field collaborators, the creation of Radio Maria committees at Small Christian Community [“migongo’] level, and the identification of long term investment projects for the future maintenance, development, and sustainability of the project.”
EVENTS IN RADIO MARIA UGANDA, HOIMA 90.7 FM
Rev. Fr. John Mary Busobozi was the first Director of Radio Maria Uganda, Hoima (Jun 2009 – 31 May 2018) which was then an added service to his Office of Executive Secretary Social Communications, Hoima Catholic Diocese which he occupied for 24 years (1997 – 20 Mar 2021).
He was succeeded by formerly his assistant (30 May 2015), Rev. Gerald Aligumikiriza who served as Second Executive Director Radio Maria Uganda, Hoima 90.7 FM from 31 May 2018 until 20 Mar 2021 when he handed over to the third and current Executive Director of Radio Maria Uganda, Hoima 90.7 FM, Rev. Patrick Museveni (20 Mar 2021 to date).